SUPWA is the State Association for Stand Up Paddle Sports in Western Australia.
The Objectives of the Association, Stand Up Paddle WA Inc. include:
To Organise and promote events that support all disciplines of stand up paddling in Western Australia in alignment with all stakeholder requirements;
To nurture and uphold the unique SUP community lifestyle and values;
To assist and develop local talent into a pathway to state, national and international representation.
SUPWA provide healthy and safe stand up paddle event opportunities for community participation, elite athlete competition and promote a culture of support and development.
The beautiful oceans and waterways of WA provide the perfect environment for the community to get actively involved in the healthy lifestyle that SUP provides.
SUPWA runs 16 events over the year:
· The Wedge Island Shaka – All surf categories including a 10ft division, juniors, open male and female,
over 40/over 50 and BOP/Technical Racing
· The Bridge the Bank Teams Challenge - a Mixed teams relay race over 15km
· The SUP5000 - a sprint series over 2000m, 1500m, 1000m and 500m over a flat water course
· The Starboard Black Blade State SUP Sprint Championships - a flat-water sprint championship held on
Champion Lakes Rowing Centre over 200m, 1000m and 5000m
· The King of the Cut State SUP Downwinder Championships - held offshore from Dawesville Cut to
Secret Harbour over 24km
· The Flat-water Marathon State SUP Championships - held on the upper Swan River over 10km and 20km
· (In Planning) Woodman Point to Fremantle DW Sprint – Elite and entry level paddlers
· (In Planning) Mullaloo Down Winder - Elite and entry level paddlers
· Paddle Loop Events x 6
· Ladies Day - incorporating a paddle loop, technical race, SUP Yoga and technique coaching
· SUPWA also organise Group Pod demo days, and a fun demo day to get the family down and try different
SUPWA support Surfing WA to provide the State Title SUP Surf series. This is a three event series for SUP surfing and Technical Racing.
· The Rottnest Island Classic – State Round
· Denmark - State Round
· Mandurah - State Round
SUPWA further assists in supporting local events that have SUP races incorporated:
· The Doctor – Down Wind
· The Mandurah Duel – Down Wind
· The Avon Challenge – Flat Water
· The Classic Paddle – Flat Water
· The Whalebone – Technical
SUPWA’s committee consists of 21-people who utilise management systems and procedures, intellectual property, historical data, their own experience and knowledge and if required, seek advice from independent specialists to deliver events safely and in consideration of community and the environment.
SUPWA understand each location in which we conduct our events is different, and therefore work closely with local authorities to obtain registrations or permission to conduct non-commercial leisure activities that require lawful authority. Regulatory approvals dictate specific requirements as controlling requirements and SUPWA endeavour to implement the necessary controls to achieve or surpass expectations with meeting compliance.
Our members enjoy the benefits of SUPWA and being part of a fantastic community of paddlers that are keen to share ideas and have fun